Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Parable about Talent

I have always been intrigued by the story of Matthew 25:14-30, or the Parable of the Talents.. Talents, the possession and dispersion of those talents, the blessings of those gifts take the central role in our story about these three servants and their master.

In this story, Jesus tells us of a man, going off on an extended trip, and in this story, the man is clearly meant to represent God the Father. God calls his servants together and gave each their share of talent - one he gave five thousand dollars, another two thousand, and third one thousand, The first servant went to work and doubled his master's investment. The second did the same. 

But the man with the single thousand dug a hole and carefully buried his talents. This is what we’re all told to do with our money. Right? Save, save, save!

Long story short, the master comes back and rewards the two who took a risk with their talents. The other guy, well, God gets a little angry with him. “You wasted your talent!” God says. 'That's a terrible way to live! It's criminal to live cautiously like that! If you knew I was after the best, why did you do less than the least?
Talents, the possession and dispersion of those talents, the blessings of those gifts take the central role in our story about these three servants and their master. A talent has always been a tricky subject.

But God shows a clear preference in this situation for the servants who are willing to risk their talents for the glory of God. Talent, at its core, contains an element of risk, a willingness to lose, an acceptance of the potential for ridicule. Not each person received the same amount of “talent”. Each person had a certain amount of talent, some greater than others. Some abilities, those gifts shine more clearly, more obviously – they are lights that draw others to their flame. Some of us are blessed with extraordinary amounts of talents, while others maybe not so much. 

But God’s reaction to each person is the same, regardless of amount; “what did you do with the gift I have given you?” though the first two servants received different amounts – God rejoiced that those talents were used, that the servants where willing to put themselves at risk in order to serve God.

Using our talent is a risk. It means exposing ourselves to losing, to the judgment of others. Talent means some people may not like you so much. Talent, very often, means failure.

Michael Jordan is one of the most famous basketball players on earth. Most people wouldn't believe that a man often lauded as the best basketball player of all time was actually cut from his high school basketball team. Luckily, Jordan didn't let this setback stop him from playing the game and he has stated, "I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot, and I missed. I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." Talent, sometimes, means, losing first.

Using our talent is a risk. It means exposing ourselves to losing, to the judgment of others. Talent means some people may not like you so much. Talent, very often, means failure.

When I was 12, we moved to a new town and joined a church which for the first time had one of these strange, wonderful people who planned the music. This was our first church with a choir!  And within two weeks Mrs. Marjorie Faris knew I played the flute. At 12 – it wasn’t so good, the sound, and I was playing on my aunts ancient Bundy with a broken key – but Marj didn’t seem to care. You see, there was this part in this song and she  needed someone who played the flute. I don’t know to this day who the rat in my family was who volunteered me, though I have my guesses.

I practiced, dutifully, but I didn’t want to play in church. Not really. I was worried. What would these people think? Would the entire congregation be staring at me while I played? What if I played the wrong note? What if I got up and not sound came out at all. What if I raised my arms and my pants fell off in front of everyone? What if Marj wanted me to do it again?

I was terrified to play my flute in front of all those people. I had all those worries. I didn’t particularly like people looking at me, judging me, noticing me. I didn’t want to stand out in this new place. Finally, I told my Mom I wanted to quit. I was not playing my flute in church. Nuh uh. Not going to happen. In fact, I told my Mom, I’ll just quit playing music all together! Then I’ll never have to get up in front of people in church again!
Well, my mother quelled me with one “mom” look. “Elizabeth,” she said. “God gave you a gift, and God expects you to use it. You are playing in church.”

Which was the point all along anyway. God gave you a gift, and God expects you to use it.
What my twelve year old self missed was that my talent wasn’t about me at all. It feels like they are – our talents are after all wrapped inside our skin. It’s our face through which the sounds emerge, our hands that manipulate the material, our minds which analyze and dissect.

Talent is about the one who made us. All our skills, our gifts, our blessings are merely gifts from God. God expects us to use them. So what, if you can write the most beautiful poetry or even terrible poetry – if you never read it to anyone, what’s the point? So what, if you can lead people into battle at work, if you do not lead God’s people through the church?

Using our Talent is a risk. We might be rejected. We might get hurt, people might judge us. Some people might even like us (which may be more dangerous than the rest).

But God gives us gifts, and they are wasted unless we are willing to use them the way God intended.

No comments: